Prescription Drug Take-Back Day in California
The U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) is hosting its 17th annual National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day on April 27th, 2019 from 10AM – 2PM. National Prescription Drug-Take Back Day is a nationwide event that aims to provide a safe, anonymous, convenient, and responsible means of disposing of prescription drugs, while simultaneously informing the general public about the potential for medication abuse. If it is time to clean out your medicine cabinet and you want to take part in reducing the risk of prescription abuse, consider visiting one of the San Diego Take-Back Day locations mentioned below.
Some of the major risks associated with improper disposal of prescription drugs include, but are not limited to:
- Medications that are unused, expired, or lost are a public safety issue as it can lead to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse.
- Prescription drugs that go unused and are thrown in the trash can easily be retrieved, abused, or illegally sold.
- Unused drugs that are flushed contaminate the water supply. Proper disposal of unused drugs saves lives and protects the environment.
- The majority of teenagers abusing prescription drugs get them from family and friends — and the home medicine cabinet.
- Prescription and pharmaceutical drugs can be equally as dangerous as street drugs when taken without a doctor’s supervision.
Below is a truncated list of San Diego, California locations that will be open April 27th 10am-2pm for Drug Take-Back Day. If you are looking for a different location in San Diego not listed here (or any other city nationwide) drop off locations by city and state are available here.
San Diego, California Drug Take-Back Day Locations
- San Diego Sheriff’s Department at the Sheriff’s Poway Patrol Station, 13100 Bowron Rd, Poway, CA, 92064
- San Diego Probation at Juvenile Hall, 2801 Meadow Lark Dr, San Diego, CA, 92123
- San Diego Police Department at the San Diego Police Dept Eastern Division Front Lot, 9225 Aero Dr, San Diego, CA, 92123
- San Diego Community College District at Mesa College Campus Police Substation, 7250 Mesa College Dr. #Q-100, San Diego, CA, 92111
- San Diego Sheriff’s Department in the Walgreens Parking Lot, 9305 Mission Gorge Rd, Santee, CA, 92071
- San Diego Sheriff’s Department at Scripps Encinitas Hospital, 354 Santa Fe Dr, Encinitas, CA, 92024
- San Diego Police Department at the San Diego Police Department Northern Division, 4275 Eastgate Mall, La Jolla, CA, 92037
- San Diego State University in the SDSU Parking Information Booth via. College Ave. at I-8, 6095 Canyon Crest Dr, San Diego, CA, 92182
- San Diego Police Department at the San Diego Police Department Central Division, 2501 Imperial Ave, San Diego, CA, 92102
- San Diego Sheriff’s Department at Kaiser San Marcos Pharmacy, 400 Craven Rd, San Marcos, CA, 92069
- San Diego Police Department at the San Diego Police Department Mid-City Division Behind Station @ 43rd & Wightman, 4310 Landis St, San Diego, CA 92105
- San Diego Police Department at the San Diego Police Department Western Division, 5215 Gaines St, San Diego, CA, 92110
- Escondido Police at the Escondido Police Station, 1163 N. Centre City Parkway, Escondido, CA, 92026
- Veterans Administration Police at the Veterans Administration Hospital, 3550 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, CA, 92161
Year-Round Safe Disposal Locations in San Diego
- Here are a 10 year-round medication drop-off locations in the San Diego area:
- Western Pharmacy Group LLC, 610 Gateway Center Way, Suites A-E, San Diego, CA, 92102
- Garfield Beach CVS, L.L.C., 8260 Mira Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA, 92126
- USMC – BMC Miramar, MCAS Miramar Pharmacy, 249 Bauer Road, Room 3101, San Diego, CA, 92145
- USMC – BMC Marine Recruit Depot, 35000 Guadalcanal Ave. Bldg 596
- Marine Corps Recruit Depot Pharmacy, San Diego, CA, 92118
- UCSD Outpatient Pavilion Pharmacy, 9400 Campus Point Dr, RM 3-400A, La Jolla, CA, 92037
- Walgreen Co., 5504 Balboa Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92111
- Walgreen Co., 10787 Camino Ruiz, San Diego, CA, 92126
- CVS, 318 W El Norte Parkway, Escondido, CA, 92026
- CVS, 3151 University Ave, San Diego, CA, 92104
- CVS, 8831 Villa La Jolla Dr., La Jolla, CA, 92037
If you are interested in safely disposing of prescription drugs, but are located outside of San Diego, please check out these national resources.
If you, or someone you know, needs help kicking drugs or alcohol for good, we can help. Visit this link to learn more about Inpatient Drug Rehab and Alcohol Treatment in San Diego or call us at (800) 977-6110.